Liverpool sank Napoli, Lewandowski delighted Camp Nou with a hat-trick, Bayern won the first clash of Group C against Inter and OM got off to a bad start on the lawn of Tottenham… Discover the highlights of Wednesday’s matches counting for the first day of the Champions League.
Yes, Zambo Anguissa scored against Liverpool.
The results of the evening:
Group A: Napoli 4-1 Liverpool, Ajax Amsterdam 4-0 Rangers
Group B: Atletico Madrid 2-1 FC Porto, Brugge 1-0 Bayer Leverkusen
Group C: Inter Milan 0-2 Bayern Munich, FC Barcelona 5-1 Viktoria Plzen
Group D: Tottenham 2-0 OMFrankfurt 0-3 Sporting Portugal
1. Liverpool atomized by Naples! It was an expected match, and he didn’t have to. He even surprised, since the Partenopei inflicted a real lesson on the Reds (4-1) at the Diego Maradona Stadium! the break, the Italian outfit were already leading by three goals thanks to Zielinski (5th), Zambo Anguissa (31st) and Simeone (44th), not to mention a missed penalty by Osimhen. Zielinski scored twice after the break (47th), while Diaz saved the honor (49th). What a game !
2. The Bara starts (very) strong thanks to Lewandowski.Viktoria Plzen had little hope before moving to Catalonia, and right with this heavy defeat (1-5). The Blaugrana quickly made the difference at Camp Nou thanks to Kessi (13th), before the inevitable Polish striker signed a hat-trick (34th, 45+3rd, 68th) thanks to two fox goals from surfaces and a strike from 20 meters. Munich or Barcelona, Lewy still loves the C1 so much…
3. Lewandowski, three goals and a record. By scoring three goals against Plzen (5-1) on Wednesday, the Polish striker set himself a European record by becoming the first player to achieve a hat-trick with at least three different clubs in C1, notes statistician Opta. Before achieving such a feat with the Blaugrana, the center forward had scored a hat-trick with Borussia Dortmund and four with his former team, Bayern Munich. Clever.
4.The shock of group of death for the Rotens. With Bayern, Inter and Bara, Pool C will offer us some great matches. The first took place this evening, and it turned the advantage of the Germans on the lawn of the Italians (2-0). Now orphaned by Lewandowski, the Bavarians have recovered from San, scorer in the first period after a superb sequence (25th) and author of a double in the second act (66th).
5.And 19 for Bayern! Fallouts of Inter Milan (2-0), the men of Julian Nagelsmann scored a 19th consecutive success at the opening of the Champions League, and no team has ever managed such a performance according to Opta. The last Munich defeat to start a C1 campaign dates back to September 18, 2003 against Deportivo La Coruña (2-3).
6. Marseille got off to a bad start… and it is cruel. OM had a very good first period on the lawn of Tottenham (0-2), before starting the second very badly with this exclusion of Mbemba (47th). The Phoenicians were courageous and they resisted for a long time, before Richarlison finally found the flaw in the header, twice (76th, 81st). Next C1 match for Igor Tudor’s men: Tuesday against Frankfurt, at Vl’ (read the Dbrief and NOTES of the players).
7. Joey Barton kept his word! Expected in the Marseille parking lot, the current Bristol Rovers coach did indeed attend the meeting between Tottenham and OM (2-0) in the company of Marseille supporters. A beautiful proof of love for his former club (2012-2013) from the ex-midfielder, who also participated in the procession. All with a South Winners t-shirt, for the symbol…
VIDEO: Barton has indeed joined the Marseille parking lot!
8. Sporting trills Frankfurt. In group D, that of OM, it will be necessary to count on Sporting for the qualification in eighths! On the lawn of Eintracht (3-0), the Portuguese club unfolded after the break with goals from Edwards (65th), Trincao (67th) and Santos (82nd). A perfect evening for the Lisbotes, while the winners of the Europa League start their C1 campaign in the worst possible way.
9. Mad end of the game Madrid! And even completely crazy, since the first goal of the match between Atletico and Porto (2-1) was scored… the 90+2nd by Hermoso! The rest of these incredible nine minutes (announcements, editor’s note) of added time? A penalty conceded by the Madrid defender and converted by Uribe (90 + 6th) before the winning goal for the Colchoneros signed… Griezmann (90 + 11th), came into play in the 61st, as usual.
10. Griezmann, something to cheer him up a bit… Funny start to the season for the French striker, constantly replacing at kick-off due to complicated negotiations between FC Barcelona and Atletico for his permanent transfer. But he hangs on, and he does well to do so since this fox goal from the surfaces, scored from a header at the end of the suspense against Porto (2-1), has just offered three (very) precious points to his team.
VIDEO: Griezmann delivers Atleticoat the end of the suspense!
11.Atletico and Porto (re)make history. 2-1 final score, with three goals scored in added time (90+2nd, 90+6th and 90+11th)… A first in C1? Mrs. no. As Opta points out, this is the second game with three goals scored in the 90th or after (not counting extra time, editor’s note) in this competition. The first opposed … Atletico Porto, already, in December 2021 (3-1). The scorers? Griezmann (56th), Correa (90th) and De Paul (90+2nd) for the Colchoneros, Oliveira (90+6th) for the Dragoes.
12. Bruges in the lead with Atletico. The Belgians have long thought they were alone at the top of Group B tonight, but they will have to share first place. Unlike the Colchoneros, Bruges quickly made the difference against Bayer Leverkusen (1-0) thanks to Sylla (42nd). In the second period, Schick thought to equalize for the Germans, before being signaled offside by the VAR (73rd).
13. Ajax faithful to the position. Once again plucked this summer, the Dutch team remains just as successful in C1! Rangers paid the price this Wednesday in Amsterdam (0-4) by spending a very difficult quarter of an hour: Alvarez (17th), Berghuis (32nd) and Kudus (33rd) put an end to the suspense in 16 minutes flat, while that Bergwijn drove the point home late in the game (80th).
Do not hesitate to react and discuss the 1st day of the Champions League below in the space add a comment…