Army acknowledges ‘strong possibility’ of killing journalist Shireen Abu Akleh

Army acknowledges 'strong possibility' of killing journalist Shireen Abu Akleh

For the first time, the Israeli army on Monday acknowledged “a strong possibility” of having killed, but not deliberately, the journalist of the pan-Arab channel Al Jazeera Shireen Abu Akleha half-hearted confession decried by the family and the supporters of the reporter.

Star d‘Al Jazeerathe American-Palestinian journalist was shot and killed on May 11 while covering an Israeli military operation in the Palestinian camp of Jenin, a stronghold of Palestinian armed factions in the northern occupied West Bank, where a special unit was trying to apprehend “suspects”, which had led to armed clashes.

After the death of Shireen Abu Akleh, equipped with a bullet-proof vest with the words “press” and a helmet, the Palestinian Authority and her employer Al Jazeera immediately accused the Israeli army of having killed her. Israel has consistently denied this accusation, despite journalistic and UN report finds Israeli firewhich however excluded that it was deliberate.

“Accidentally touched”

Gold Monday, the army israeli published the “final conclusions” of its investigation and acknowledged that one of its soldiers had fired in the direction of the journalist mistaking her identity: “There is a strong possibility that Mrs. Abu Akleh was accidentally hit by a shooting by the Israeli army which targeted suspects identified as Palestinian gunmen. »

The army said it studied the sequence of events “chronologically”, analyzed the scene, the videos and sounds recorded on the spot, conducted a “simulation of the scene” and that “Israeli experts” conducted a ballistic analysis of the ball, on July 2, in the presence of representatives of the “United States Security Coordination Committee for Israel and the Palestinian Authority”.

Due to the “poor condition of the bullet”, identifying its origin was “difficult”, underlines the army in its report, saying that it does not have “unequivocal” certainty of the origin of the fatal shot at the journalist.

Target error?

Like the Israeli army, the UNITED STATES concluded that Shireen Abu Akleh was “likely” killed by fire from an Israeli position, without having reason to believe that her death was intentional.

“The soldier was not looking to target an Al Jazeera reporter or a journalist in general. (…) The soldier misidentified his target and he is sorry about that,” a senior Israeli military official said Monday during a briefing with the press. “It shouldn’t have happened, he didn’t do it deliberately,” he added.

This official indicated that the soldier, posted about 200 meters behind the journalist, had not seen his inscription “press” on the front of his bulletproof vest. He said the journalist had been shot in the back of the head

no charge

The Israeli military prosecutor’s office announced for its part on Monday that “there was no suspicion of a criminal act justifying the opening of a criminal investigation by the military police” and this, although there there is a “high probability” that Shireen Abu Akleh was killed by Israeli soldiers.

“The facts and the investigations prove that Israel is the culprit, that it is Israel that killed Shireen, and it is Israel that must bear the responsibility for its crime”, reacted Nabil Abou Roudeina, the spokesman of the Palestinian President Mahmoud Abbas who had also organized a national funeral in Ramallah in honor of the journalist.

The Al Jazeera channel denounced the conclusions of the investigation, saying that “this lip service confession is nothing more than an attempt by the Israeli occupation forces to escape their criminal responsibility”. “Al Jazeera condemns the Israeli occupation forces’ reluctance to explicitly admit their crime and their attempts to evade prosecution of the perpetrators,” the channel added in a statement.

The Abu Akleh family, who met US Secretary of State Antony Blinken in Washington in July, accused the Israeli authorities in a statement on Monday of “avoiding responsibility for the murder” of the journalist. “We remain deeply hurt, frustrated and disappointed,” said the family, asking the United States to conduct a “credible” investigation.

“The admission of guilt by the Israeli armed forces comes too late and is incomplete”, lambasted Sherif Mansour, head of the Middle East at the Committee to Protect Journalists (CPJ), in New York. The Israeli anti-colonization NGO B’Tselem called the Israeli army’s conclusions a “false confession”. “It’s not an investigation, it’s a cover-up. It’s not a mistake, it’s a policy,” lamented the NGO.

Leave a Reply

Your email address will not be published.